Friday, April 24, 2015

my Father's memory - the sonnet


As my father lay dying, I was asleep
until my brother woke me at his house.
I exclaimed to the phone, Pop made no peep;
gone I know, Pop thought of me not a louse. 

Some months from that date I will participate
in festivities to honor his death.
We made our “good-byes before it was too late.
What i learned from Pop weren’t in his last breath.

What i learned from Pop will be how i die,
for he so much loved life’s sweet mystery.
No one knows when and where our souls to fly . . 
that could be his cackle in yonder tree .  .

it won’t matter when or where once we’ve gone;
what counts is what we’ve stacked our love upon.


jts 20 September 2011 
http://stoneartist.com 

1 comment:

  1. would like to have met your dad. that he loved life's "sweet mystery" is apparent in his eyes.

    ReplyDelete